Spending an entire month in one location has given us the opportunity to complete some home improvement projects. A few long planned, and a few spur of the moment. First up was some new lighting in the living/dining/office area.
This very cool lighting is comprised of a strip of warm LED lights that are mounted behind the curtain valances and above the over-the-couch cabinet. The strip came with a sticky back, but the sticky part wasn’t so sticky, and after just a few days started to come un-stuck. A few dabs of super glue fixed that right up. The best part of these lights is the dimmer switch that allows us to go from bright and cheery to dim and relaxing. Oh, and the dimmer has a remote. Pretty cool right? These have become our everyday lights and we find them much more useful then the colored strip of LEDs that we used to have above the couch.
Next was a new rug.
Previously we had a larger, plusher rug in the same spot. While we loved the pattern and the way it felt on the feet, it wasn’t really the perfect fit for the space. First off, it was a pain to clean, and the large size meant that every time we walked through the front door we stepped on it. Which led to a section of rug that was always dirty and matted down. This new rug is a huge improvement. Not only is it smaller, which means farther away from the front door, but it’s also flatter, more durable, and much easier to clean.
There was one problem though. The new rug with its grey & white chevron pattern clashed with our circle patterned pillows and curtain valances. Naturally, the next step was then new pillows and window valances. Lucky for us I know my way around a needle and thread so these two projects were both simple and cheap. A few yards of fabric and two evenings of sewing later and we had a whole new living room.
In the middle of the project I was afraid that using the same pattern in three places would end up looking too matchy-matchy. But in the end, the patterns were just different enough to prevent a repetitive feel. We love the new, refreshed look and are very happy with the results.
Here’s the new lighting with the new valances.
The other project is an ongoing one that we should have done a looooong time ago. Hand polishing the Airstream is not fun, but the results speak for themselves.
So far we’ve only polished a few small sections, but it wasn’t too difficult or time consuming so hopefully we can find the time (and motivation) to finish the job.