It may appear from our recent posts that we’ve spent all our time at Zion N.P hiking up cliffs and scampering around on the slickrock. While this is mostly true, I do have some non-hiking related photos to share with you. Enjoy…
Homemade Granola Bars
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup almonds or pecan, chopped
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup chia seeds or flax seeds
- 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup virgin coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups puffed rice or puffed quinoa
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup dried fruit, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Combine the oats, nuts and seeds on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes until lightly toasted, stirring the mixture after 5 minutes. Remove from oven and place in a large bowl.
- In a small saucepan heat the honey or maple syrup, coconut oil, salt, cinnamon and vanilla over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for several minutes until the oil is melted and the ingredients are combined.
- Pour the sweet oil mixture into the the large bowl and stir well. Let the mixture cool slightly before folding in the rice puffs, chocolate chips and dried fruit.
- Line an 8 x 8-inch baking dish with two overlapping pieces of parchment or waxed paper. Pour the granola mixture into the pan. Fold the paper over the top and press down evenly until the granola is flat and compact.
- Let cool & harden for several hours before cutting.